Drummond Gardens
Muthill, Crieff, PH7 4HZ

Telephone.
(01764) 681433
Fax.
(01764) 681642

Click here to email


Welcome

text

21st - 28th September - RYDER CUP week.

The Gardens will be open from 10am to 6pm each day.

Give yourself a break from the golf and stroll in our beautiful gardens.

text

The gardens will be open daily from Wednesday May 1st : gates open at 1pm.

Come along and enjoy one of the finest gardens in Scotland.

spacer
image
View of Drummond Castle across the ornimental Lake
text

Drummond Castle was built on a rocky outcrop by John, 1st Lord Drummond. The 2nd Earl, a Privy Councillor to James VI and Charles I, succeeded in 1612 and is credited with transforming both the gardens and the castle. The keep still stands but the rest of the castle was restored and largely remodelled by the 1st Earl of Ancaster in 1890.

From the east gateway on the Crieff Muthill road, visitors drive up the long beech avenue to the car park and then walk to the outer castle court. On passing into the inner courtyard and attaining the top of the terracing the full extent and majesty of the garden is suddenly revealed. The dominant feature of the parterre design is a St Andrew's Cross with the multiplex 17th century sundial at its centre.

A strong north-south axis runs through the garden, down the impressive flight of steps to the sundial, through the classical archway and kitchen garden beyond, cutting a swathe through woodland before rising to the top of the opposing hillside. This idea of drawing the countryside into the garden is essentially French; however, Drummond is an eclectic garden and also rooted firmly in the Italian style with its fountains, terracing, urns and statuary.

image
Beware Crocodile
text

G A R D E N   C A L E N D A R

line

calendar
image
The Garden Expert
line

line

text

The Grimsthorpe & Drummond Castle Trust is a charity registered in Scotland (SC039364) and in England & Wales (507478)